You might have always wondered “how to track a phone?” and if tracking a cell phone’s location is even possible. You might hope to track your child’s location to ensure they are safe. Or you may want to track your spouse’s phone to make sure they are where they say they are.
Luckily for you, digital technology and geolocation advances have made this possible. You may think this technology is limited to use by the government or the police, but that’s not entirely true.
Can You Track The Location Of A Cell Phone Using Its Number?
Yes, you can track the location of a cell phone using its number. You will find plenty of online websites and apps, but the process isn’t entirely straightforward.
Moreover, you should only be using legitimate websites and apps. Some malicious services may harm your device since they carry malware and harmful packaged files. The wrong services may also end up stealing your sensitive information and exposing it online.
How To Track A Cell Phone Location Using Its Number?
There are two general ways you can track a cell phone’s location for free. You may use a third-party app or the phone’s built-in location tracker. We will be going over each method to track phone number in detail.
Before we proceed, it is important that you know it is illegal to track someone’s phone without them knowing. However, parents wanting to keep an eye on their minor kids under the age of 18 can use the technology to track phone location. It is recommended that you check your state laws on tracking someone’s cell phone with surveillance software/spy apps/spyware.
1. Use a Third-Party Spy App to Track a Cell Phone’s Location
The first method involves downloading a specialized phone number tracker onto the device. One incredibly popular app is “Spyine.” Spyine is typically used by parents to keep a close eye on their child’s location. Mobile app trackers such as Spyine will use GPS, WIFI, and cellular signals to locate a device’s location. More advanced trackers will also allow you to track the device’s location as it moves around in real-time.
What’s more, Spyine is fully compatible with both Android and IOS devices and can be accessed from your web browser. This means you won’t have to download any app onto your device. The only real drawback is that it is a paid app.
Here’s How to Track a Phone Number Using a Third-Party App:
- For Android and iOS, you will have to first create a new account with Spyine. Once you create an account, you don’t have to install Spyine on your device to track someone’s location; you can use it from any web browser. Anytime you log in, you will get access to their dashboard from where you can track devices.
- For androids, the next step would be to install and set up the Spyine software inside the target device. The user will not be able to detect the app as it vanishes from the phone app menu. Moreover, you can only control and access it from the Spyine dashboard at your end.
- If you do want to access the app on the target device, you will have to use a dedicated security code that only you will have access to.
- For iPhones, you must verify the Apple IS and password of the target phone with Spyine. Again, the app will not be detectable on the target device.
- Once done, you can start tracking a phone number. Use the location tracker to get access to the live location of the device 24/7.
One other extremely useful feature besides location tracking is geofencing. Geofencing will keep track of an individual inside a boundary and alert you if the individual crosses that boundary. In this way, you can make sure your kids or elderly are safe.
Apps besides Spyine That Allow You to Track a Phone Number’s Location:
Besides Spyine, you will find plenty of other apps that offer similar location tracking features. MSpy is a popular cell phone tracker you can use, and it is quite similar to Spyine. For instance, it can also be used on both iOS and android and works discreetly in the background of the target device. In this way, the user doesn’t know that they are being tracked.
It can also be accessed and controlled using a web browser-based dashboard that you can view anywhere. And like Spyine, it is also a paid app.
They both do differ in pricing, however. The Spyine app is available for $49.99/month (basic version) for Androids and $79.99/month (premium version) for iOS – iOS devices do not have a basic plan. On the other hand, MSpy is available for a free 7-day trial period. After that, you will have to sign up for one of their packages. They start from $69.99 per month or $39.99/month for 3 months.
Should You Use FREE Third-Party Apps to Track Mobile Number Location?
We have discussed paid apps, but what about using free apps to track phone number location? The reality is that while there are many free third-party apps available you can use to track the location of a number, they are not safe for your device. Apps that ask you to type in phone number and find location free are malicious in nature. Most of these apps carry malware or harmful files with them, and when you download them, they can delete, steal or share your sensitive data.
This is why it is always recommended that you go for a legitimate paid app with plenty of reviews online to prove its credibility. You can also go for a paid app that offers a free trial, such as MSpy.
If you are looking for alternative methods to track a phone that is 100% free, you are in luck. You can use the target device’s built-in device locator to find a device. While this method does have its drawbacks, it is free and safe for use since it doesn’t involve a third party.
2. Use The Phone’s Built-in Device Locator
The second method is generally recommended for users who lose their devices and hope to locate them. You may also use this method to track the device of a close one. This is a FREE method and is relatively easy compared to installing and navigating a third-party app onto your device. Moreover, it can be used for both Android and iOS devices by their respective native device locator apps.
Here’s How It Works for Android Devices:
You can use the Android “Find My Device” feature to track a phone remotely. Find My Device is a sort of mobile number tracker with current location online. You can access it as a part of Google Play Protect services to secure your phone. Here is how you can use it:
- Open the target device and head over to the Google Play Store application.
- Once open, search for “Find My Device.”
- You can then set up Google’s Find My Device services on the device. Always make sure that this function is switched on with the device; otherwise, you may not be able to use it.
- For this, you can go to your settings app and look for “Security and Location.” Here click on “Find My Device.” If your device doesn’t have a dedicated security and location option, you can go to Google > Security and then look for “Find My Device.”
- Next, whenever you need to find a device, head on over to https://android.com/find.
- You must then log in using a Google account linked to the android phone you wish to locate.
- Alternatively, you can also use the Find My Device app on another android device if you don’t have access to a PC.
- Once you’re signed in, Google will automatically locate the target android phone for you and send you the details.
While this method does work, it has its own drawbacks. For one, you need to have access to the Google account linked to the target device. Moreover, once you try to locate the device, it will send an alert to the phone, notifying whoever has the phone that their location is being tracked. Moreover, you can only track the device if it has a cellular/WiFi connection. On the plus side, however, it is completely FREE and accurate.
Here’s How It Works for iOS Devices:
If you are an iOS user, you can also use Apple’s find my device feature to find someone else’s device (or your own). Here’s how to use it:
- Go to your iPhone device and open the “Find My Device” application.
- At the bottom navigation bar, click on “Me.”
- From here, click on “Help a Friend” at the very bottom of the screen.
- This will redirect you to Apple iCloud, where you can locate the device.
- Like Androids, you will need access to the target devices’ Apple ID and password to use this feature.
- Once you have successfully logged in, select the target device you wish to track.
- Find My Device will find the device and show you its location details on a map.
- For this feature to work, you will have to first activate the application on the target device.
- Go to Settings and click on your Apple ID at the top of the screen for this.
- From here, click on iCloud to redirect you.
- Finally, select “Find My Device” and enable it for us. You can use iCloud to track a phone location from any iPhone, iPad, or touch iPod.
Again, this is a FREE feature, but it has its limitations. You can use it to locate your close friends’ lost phones or yours since you are more likely to have access to their iCloud credentials, but that may not always be the case.
There you go! Now you know how to track a phone.