Quick Facts about Ellen DeGeneres
|Full Name||Ellen Lee DeGeneres|
|Nick Name||Ellen DeGeneres Alde|
|Date of Birth||26th January, 1958|
|Place of Birth||Metairie, Louisiana|
|Occupation||comedian, actress, television host, producer, and writer|
|Spouse||Portia de Rossi (m. 2004-present)|
|Height||5.7 Feet or 171cm|
|Net worth||$ 330 million- $ 420 million|
Who is Ellen DeGeneres?
Ellen Lee DeGeneres is an American comedian, actress, television host, producer, and writer who came to the limelight after starring in the sitcom, Ellen (1994-1998). DeGeneres is best known for her syndicated talk show, “The Ellen DeGeneres Show”. As an actress, Ellen DeGeneres has made several appearances in different films with the most iconic being in the films, “The Love Letter” (1999), “Mr. Wrong” (1996), as well as the 2016’s “Finding Dory”. She is the voice-over artist behind the film Finding Nemo (2003) and has appeared as a judge in the ninth season of the American Idol. Due to her outstanding performance, DeGeneres has bagged numerous Awards
including the 2016’s Presidential Medal of Freedom besides being a 30-time winner of the Emmy Awards.
Ellen DeGeneres was born on the 26th of January 1958 in Metairie, Louisiana to Elliott Everett, an insurance agent, and Elizabeth Jane, a speech therapist. Ellen has an elder brother named Vance who is a producer-cum musician. Following the divorce of her parents in 1973, Ellen relocated together with her mother to Atlanta, Texas whereas her brother Vance was left behind with his father in Metairie, Louisiana. Ellen DeGeneres attended Grace King High School before transferring to Atlanta High School from where she graduated in 1976. She later joined the University of New Orleans however her studies there were short-lived since she dropped out of the university after her first semester to do some clerical work in a law firm.
Before becoming a familiar face on the screens, Ellen DeGeneres did some odd jobs such as bartending, selling vacuum cleaners, as well as being a waitress. From the odd jobs, DeGeneres began her comedy career where her early comedy gigs were at local coffee houses and clubs.
Relationships and Sexual Orientation
Ellen DeGeneres is not of a straight sexual orientation. In 1997, the comedian came out as a lesbian on Oprah Winfrey’s television show. The disclosure of her sexual orientation left most of her fans in a shock with her career almost getting totally stunted. She herself suffered depression over some media coverage on her sexual relationships. In the same year she revealed her sexual orientation, Ellen DeGeneres began a romantic relationship with Anne Heche, an actress (1997-2000). Following their separation with Heche, DeGeneres fell in another relationship with Alexandra Hedison, a photographer with whom they dated from 2000 to 2004.
DeGeneres fall into yet another relationship with Portia de Rossi later in 2004. The lovebirds engaged and officially married in the August of 2008 at a private ceremony held at their Beverly Hills home. The couple lives in Beverly Hills, California together with their three cats and four dogs. Portia de Rossi later changed her name to Portia Lee James DeGeneres through a petition she filed in 2010.
Also read: Demi Lovato plastic surgery
After dropping out of the university, Ellen DeGeneres began doing some odd jobs such as bartending, being a waitress, selling vacuum cleaners, as well as working as a clerk in a local law firm. Her comedy career however started picking up in the early ’80s after she got the opportunity to perform her short comedies at the local restaurants and clubs. The year 1981 marked a major milestone in DeGeneres’s career since she was appointed the popular Clyde’s Comedy Club’s emcee, a position which earned her much popularity besides getting the opportunity to tour the country while doing live performances. In 1982, DeGeneres went on record as of the few outstanding female comedians after she was awarded the title, “Showtime’s Funniest Person in America”.
Ellen DeGeneres’ debut as an actress was in the “Open House” television show where she appeared as a cast member. She later gave an outstanding performance in the sitcoms, ‘These Friends of Mine’ and ‘Laurie Hill’ before she was highly accredited for her appearances in the films, ‘Mr. Wrong’(1996), the 1993’s “Coneheads”, ‘Finding Nemo’(2003) as well as in the 1999’s ‘The Love Letter’.
At the rate at which Ellen DeGeneres was winning audience attraction, a special show named “Ellen” was created for her on ABC which ran from 1994-1998. In 2001, DeGeneres made an iconic television comeback with the CBS sitcom, ‘The Ellen Show’. However, it was ‘The Ellen DeGeneres Show’ that was launched in 2003 that took the comedian to the peak of her career. The show has received Emmy Award Nominations 11 times besides being a 3-time winner of the ‘Outstanding Talk Show’ Awards among other awards.
Ellen DeGeneres is an American comedian with an average bodyside, an impressive heigh, and an average weight. DeGeneres stands tall at a height of 171 centimeters which is equivalent to 5 feet and 7 inches. The actor weighs 59 Kilograms or 130 Pounds. She has blonde short hair and blue eyes color.
What is Ellen DeGeneres Net worth?
- As of 2020, Ellen DeGeneres’ net worth is estimated to range between $ 330 million and $ 420 million.
- Most of her wealth is has been earned from her comedy works and television shows.
- She receives an annual net salary ranging between $ 75 million and $ 90 million. A good example was in 2018 when she earned $ 80 million from her various works.
- Ellen DeGeneres has invested heavily in real estate were in 2019 alone she sold properties worth over $ 45 million.
Facts about Ellen DeGeneres
- She is a university dropout who studied for only one semester at the University of New Orleans.
- Before entering into the show business, Ellen DeGeneres worked as a bartender, waitress, and vacuum cleaners’ seller among other odd jobs.
- Her sexual orientation is not straight since she is a lesbian married to Portia de Rose.
- She is one of the best-selling authors after penning down books like, “The Funny Thing is”, “My Point…” as well as “And I Do Have One”.
- Ellen was in 1991 named the Best Female Comedy Club Stand-Up by the American Comedy Awards.
- In 2016 she was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Obama.
What are Some of Her Achievements?
- In 2008 Ellen DeGeneres received the People’s Choice Awards as the Favorite Funny Female Star.
- In 2006 she bagged the People’s Choice Awards after she was named the winner of The Favorite Talk Show.
- Previously in 1996, Ellen was nominated to the Screen Actors Guild Awards under the category of Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor.
- In 1996 DeGeneres was nominated for the Golden Globe Awards under the category, Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series.